These notes mostly cover the Curtis family of McDowell County, NC, but other miscellaneous Curtis references are included.
For an online genealogy database which includes these Curtis descendants and related families, go to http://willbraffitt.org/roots/. The notes below supplement the information in the online genealogy database.
General Notes and References
* 10-Jul-2006 email from Penny Spencer email@example.com
- MOSES CURTIS, SR. (THOMAS) was born October 03, 1777 in Randolph County, NC, and died
September 04, 1853 in McDowell County, NC. He married MARY ALLISON Abt. 1801, daughter of
THOMAS ALLISON and CASSANDRA BIRD. She was born December 11, 1782 in
Washington County, VA, and died July 1864 in Buncombe County, NC.
- Children of MOSES CURTIS and MARY ALLISON are:
i. THOMAS MOSES CURTIS, b. 1802, Burke County, NC; d. Abt. 1885, Fannin County, GA.
ii. BARBARA CURTIS, b. 1803, Burke County, NC.
iii. MARY PAULINE CURTIS, b. March 26, 1804, Burke County, NC; d. October 14, 1863,
Macon County, NC; m. CLARK S. BIRD, December 07, 1820; b. December 18, 1800,
Old Fort, McDowell County, NC; d. July 18, 1885, Macon County, NC.
iv. MELISSA CURTIS, b. 1806, Burke County, NC.
v. WESLEY CURTIS, b. 1808, Burke County, NC.
vi. MOSES CURTIS, JR., b. 1810, Burke County, NC; d. May 09, 1856, Cherokee County, NC.
vii. ELIZABETH CURTIS, b. 1811, Burke County, NC.
viii. JOSIAH ASKEW CURTIS, b. 1812, Burke County, NC; d. September 1865, CA.
ix. EMELIE CURTIS, b. 1817, Burke County, NC; d. 1878, Bentonville, Benton County, NC.
x. CASSANDRA CURTIS, b. 1822, Burke County, North Carolina.
xi. MARY CURTIS, b. December 22, 1824, Burke County, North Carolina; d. August 03, 1896,
Black Mountain, Buncombe County, North Carolina.
* 03-Dec-1988 letter from Elita Hillman
- Helen Nuffer is descended from Moses Curtis and Mary Allison
* 03-Aug-1987 letter from Lawrence B. Curtis, 582 Jonsol Court,
Gahanna, OH 43230 (Oct-2012 update from son Lawrence H. Curtis, 15502 Avery Road, Derwood, MD
20855: My father died Dec 24, 1997, of alzheimer related illness. His wife Mavis M. Sharp Curtis
is still living in Strongsville Ohio. My brother John Curtis has my father's genealogical materials
which became scrambled in the later stages of my dad's illness. Many family photos are posted at
- Thomas and Eleanor Curtis
- Moses and Mary Curtis (in 1850 McDowell, NC census)
- Josiah Askew and Elizabeth Bird Curtis
- Moses Hightower and Julia Garland Curtis
- Robert Brahson Curtis
- Lawrence Brahson Curtis
- Wife of Richard Bird was Elizabeth Westlake (Dr. J. B. Simmons)
- Land sale from Josiah Askew Curtis and wife Elizabeth to her brother
Harbert and Benjamin
- Will of Moses Curtis 08-Aug-1853
- Will of Josiah Askew Curtis made out in Apr-1853
- Includes note saying Josiah was angry at his daughter Angelica for
marrying John Norris without permission
- Names children of Josiah Askew Curtis
- Josiah Askew Curtis disappears from the scene ~1855
- 1860 census - Elizabeth Curtis listed as head of household
- Lawrence B. Curtis has a picture of Elizabeth at age 99
- Records of death of John Spencer (son of Elizabeth) shows Elizabeth as
claiming his personal effects in 1863-64
- No data on Mary Pauline (Polly) Curtis
* Lawrence B. Curtis Jenie Vee Poteet-Pitts
582 Jonsol Court 1110 Canter Road, N. E.
Gahanna, OH 43230 Atlanta, GA 30324
Jonathan Bird Richard Bird
Elizabeth Bird Lucinda Bird
Moses Hightower Curtis Richard Ivy Bird Curtis
Robert Brahson Curtis Laura Ann Curtis
Lawrence Brahson Curtis James Richard Poteet
Jenie Vee Poteet [b: 1918 GA]
* BIRD, Lucinda m: CURTIS, Thomas
CURTIS, Richard Ivy Bird m: WILLSON, Juletta Condicie
CURTIS, Laura Ann m: POTEET, Patton Carrison
POTEET, James Richard m: WADE, Mary Jane
POTEET, Jennie Vee m: PITTS, John T.
* Northwest Georgia Historical and Genealogical Quarterly,
[in TX state library]
- 01-Apr-1985 Pedigree Chart for Jennie Vee Poteet-Pitts,
1110 Canter Rd., N. E., Atlanta, GA 30324
- Information on her ancestors through Lucinda Bird and Thomas Curtis
- Thomas Curtis b: 15-Oct-1791 d: 28-Mar-1875 bu: Fannin County, GA,
son of Thomas Curtis, Sr. and Mary
- Thomas Curtis, Sr. son of Joshual Curtis
- Lucinda Bird daughter of Major Richard Bird
* 28-Apr-1985 FGS from Gloria Owenby for Josiah Askew Curtis
and Elizabeth Bird
- All data except for nickname "Betty" for Sarah Elizabeth Carson which
is from Confidence church register
- Data obtained from George Curtis 28-Apr-1985 at Family History Day - Patton
Springs, Franklin, NC and from
* 28-Apr-1985 letter from Gloria Owenby with copy of page
from George Curtis.
- Data on family of Elizabeth Bird and Josiah Askew Curtis
- Their children b: Burke, NC
* 03-Aug-1983 letter from Lawrence B. Curtis
- Confirms Elizabeth Bird / Josiah Askew Curtis data except that he could not
confirm Josiah Askew Curtis death date
* Confidence M. E. Church South, Young Cane, Union County,
- Mrs. Edna Simpson, 3619 Alpine Drive, Knoxville, TN 37920 and Donald
Braffitt have copies
- No. NAME. When Received.By whom Received. Date of Death or Disposal.
-- ------------------------------------ --------------------------
42 George W. Curtis
43 Bettie Curtis
44 Georg Carson Sep-1880 E. H. Wood Moved by letter Oct-1885
45 Ella Carson Moved by letter Oct-1885
103 John B. Curtis Mar-1884 M. G. Hamby (by letter)
104 L. J. Curtis Mar-1884 M. G. Hamby (by letter)
125 Martha L. Curtis Died 29-Nov-1893
150 Annie B. Curtis Married Feb-1893
(marrige register says marriage was Jan-1893 to G. Sparks by Rev.
208 Margarett Curtis Sep-1894 Rev. J. D. Stone
212 George Curtis, Jr. Sep-1984 Rev. J. D. Stone Moved with certif. 1902
- Donald Braffitt notes
- Members 42 and 43 are probably George Williamson CURTIS and his wife
Sarah Elizabeth CARSON
- Members 44 and 45 might be related to Sarah CARSON.
- Members 103 and 104 are probably Jonathan Bird CURTIS and his wife
Lydia Jane ALLEN
BIRD, Clark / CURTIS, Mary Pauline (Polly)
* Marriage and Death Notices from Extant Asheville, N.C. Newspapers
compiled by Robert M. Topkins, 1977.
- CURTIS, Miss Elizabeth to J. H. Fortonbury. both of Macon County.
02-Feb-1843 (Highland Messenger, 17-Feb-1843).
General CURTIS references
* 06-Jan-1852 Book 3, page 312 NC deed
- Josiah Askew and Elizabeth Curtis
- Benjamin Bird, Harbert Bird
* Curtis Connections
Lorraine Cowles Sencevicky
2494 Newcastle St.
Eugene, OR 97404 ($8.50 yearly queries)
* Curtis Family of America Association, Paul R. Curtis, 43
Lynn, MA 01902, (617) 595-1000, souvenir booklet offer
* The references below include the COOK Family, Confidence
WILD/BIRD Family, WILL Family, BANNING Family, the Larry Fobes "WILDE" book,
and a 1985 Letter.
- CURTIS, Amos R:1820NC F:COOK.
- CURTIS, Angelica B:1832NC L:1985
- CURTIS, Annie B. M:1893GA F:CONCHURCH.
- CURTIS, Avarilla F. M:1856 F:WILL.
- CURTIS, Benjamin R:1810NC F:COOK.
- CURTIS, Bengeman R:1820NC F:COOK.
- CURTIS, Caleb R:1820NC F:COOK.
- CURTIS, David R:1810NC F:COOK.
- CURTIS, David R:1820NC F:COOK.
- CURTIS, Elizabeth M:1843NC F:WILD/BIRD.
- CURTIS, Elizabeth B:1811NC L:1985
- CURTIS, Elizabeth B:182? F:BANNING.
- CURTIS, Elizabeth B:1848NC L:1985
- CURTIS, Elizabeth (BIRD) L:1985
- CURTIS, Emily B:1834NC L:1985
- CURTIS, George L:1985,F:BIRD
- CURTIS, George Jr. R:1894GA F:CONCHURCH.
- CURTIS, George Williamson B:1838NC L:1985,F:CONCHURCH.
- CURTIS, James R:1810NC F:COOK.
- CURTIS, Jo Ann B:1832SC Fobes
- CURTIS, John Spencer B:1836NC L:1985
- CURTIS, Jonathan Bird M:1872NC L:1985,F:CONCHURCH.
- CURTIS, Joseph R:1820NC F:COOK.
- CURTIS, Joshua R:1810NC F:COOK.
- CURTIS, Joshua R:1820NC F:COOK.
- CURTIS, Josiah Askew L:1985
- CURTIS, Levi R:1820NC F:COOK.
- CURTIS, Lydia Jane (ALLEN) L:1985,F:CONCHURCH.
- CURTIS, Margarett R:1894GA F:CONCHURCH.
- CURTIS, Martha L. D:1893GA F:CONCHURCH.
- CURTIS, Mary A. "Molly" B:1843NC L:1985
- CURTIS, Mary Pauline "Polly" M:1820 Fobes
- CURTIS, Moses R:1810NC F:COOK.
- CURTIS, Moses R:1820NC F:COOK.
- CURTIS, Moses Hightower B:1852NC L:1985
- CURTIS, Patsey R:1820NC F:COOK.
- CURTIS, Robert Wesley R:1832SC Fobes172
- CURTIS, Sarah Elizabeth "Bettie" (CARSON) L:1985,F:CONCHURCH.
- CURTIS, Spencer R:1893GA F:CONCHURCH.
- CURTIS, Thomas R:1820NC F:COOK.
- CURTIS, Washington Lafayette B:1841NC L:1985
- CURTIS, William R:1820NC F:COOK.
CURTIS, Josiah Askew / BIRD, Elizabeth
* 25-Apr-1853 McDowell Co., NC will for J. A. CURTIS
- wife Elizabeth
- children Anne Norris; Emily; John Spencer; George Williamson;
Washington Lefayett; Mary; Johnathan Bird; Elizabeth;
* 08-Aug-1853 McDowell Co., NC will for Moses CURTIS
- son Wesley
- son Moses
- son Silas
- son Askew